Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Relfections on General Council Excutive

Reading David Hewitt’s tweets as he attended General Council executive reminded me of a lecture I heard at AST late 2004 or early 2005. Dr. Marsha Hewitt of the Toronto School of Theology questioned the usefulness of Post-Modernity for doing theology. David tweeted after a presentation about Post-Modernity. My fear is that the United Church may be getting caught in a past world.

In the fall of 2005 I went to Mount Allison Universality in Sackville, New Brunswick as Interim Chaplain. There I listened to students reflecting on how out of touch their professors were when they talked about post-modernity.

This has led me to conclude that the time known as Post-Modernity is over. That it served as a time of cultural liminality leading to the neo-modern world of the 21 st century. Finding a place in that neo-modern world is the challenge for the church.

No comments:

Post a Comment